The French call it “Moufflet”, the Germans call it “Muffe” and the Americans call it
“Muffin”! An individual bite sized quick bread, can be sweet or savory, you can bake it with a lot of options.
I have a full time job and like all of us I’m busy meeting the deadlines, and later completing household chores and attending to my family. Many days there’s hardly any time to prepare a good breakfast. And breakfast for me is the most important meal of the day. I want my day to start with healthy yet delicious food!
Wheat bran muffins with Cinnamon and Raisin, a cup of hot tea and I’m ready to take to take on the world.
For about 16 Muffins, you will need:
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1tbsp cinnamon powder
- 135 gms melted butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 1 cup butter milk
- Preheat your oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Line the muffin mold with muffin cases and grease with some butter
- Mix together the melted butter, brown sugar and raisins. Whisk well for about 5 mins. Add the egg and beat with the whisker for another 5 mins.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl. Add the wheat bran and Cinnamon powder, mix well.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the batter and mix well. Add little butter milk at a time
and mix well. Adjust the consistency so the muffin batter is lumpy. These will
give you dense muffins, just the way it should be.
- Spoon the batter in the greased cases – fill up to 2/3rd of the case leaving space for the muffins to rise. Bake for 15 mins at 180 degrees and
the lower the temperature to 150 and bake for another 15 mins. I always play safe cause I have no control over my OTG. You never know when it starts acting funny 😉
- Once cooked, turn off the oven and take them out once they have cooled off, dust with some icing sugar and garnish with raisins.
I usually make these muffins at night, so I can get those extra 30 mins to sleep!
Work or no work, healthy bran muffins are always a thumbs up for me! And muffins, we all know, can brighten anyone’s day.