Hot Cross Buns, Hot Cross Buns
One a penny, two a penny…
Hot Cross Buns, Hot Cross Buns!
I took this nursery rhyme literally and baked these lovely buns. Traditionally
spiced with Cinnamon, these are sticky glazed fruit buns with pastry crosses.
To make 10 average sized Hot cross Buns, you will need.
- 3 ¼ Cups Refined Flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Dry Yeast
- 3 Tbsp Castor Sugar
- 1 ½ Cup Luke Warm Milk
- 30 Gms Butter
- ½ Cup Tutti Fruity (Candied Papaya)
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 2 Tbsp Sugar for the glaze
- Sift the flour, cinnamon and salt into a large bowl. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in luke warm water with a tsp of sugar. In a separate bowl, dissolve
the remaining sugar in a little water. Add both mixtures to the sifted flour
- Add the luke warm milk, a little at a time, till all of it is incorporated into
the dough. Add butter and knead till the dough is soft and smooth. Cover
with damp cloth and set aside till it doubles in size.
- Preheat the oven to 240 degree Celsius. Grease a baking tray and line it with
some parchment paper.
- Knock back the dough and add the tutti fruity. Shape into 10 round buns,
marking a cross on the top with the back of a knife. You can also cut very thin
strips of dough and place them in a cross shape on top of the buns.
- Place on the greased tray and set aside to rise for another 15 mins. Bake for
15 mins, till well risen and golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- To make the glaze, mix the sugar with 1 tbsp of water and heat gently till the sugar
- Brush the buns with the glaze immediately on taking them out of the
Slather the buns with butter and serve with a cup of hot tea! Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did making it!