I was a typical girl who believed in love, friendship, celebrating days just because it is a “cool” thing to do. And also because, the entire world was doing the same.
When i got married, my thinking and my ideologies changed. Valentine’s Day was just 4 days after my wedding. Mine was a love marriage and so, i was expecting lot of surprises and celebrations. It was a usual lovey dovey morning.. I had filmed the entire day in my mind – surprise bouquet of flowers, chocolates, cake cutting, gifts etc. Nothing of that sort happened. It was a simple yet enjoyable evening with friends, movie and dinner night out.
On returning home, i asked my husband why he did not wish me “Happy Valentine’s Day Sweetheart” and why he didn’t shower me with gifts and love all day long.. after all, it is the day of love! He just said one thing.. “Babe, i do not want to show off my love for just one day.. I want to keep the love and spark going for 365 days and for years to come.” He won. And honestly, i am more than happy to lose myself to a man who loves me for who i am.
I’ve been married for 4 years now and things have only changed for better. Anuvrat (my husband) had been travelling entire last month and returned day before yesterday. To surprise my better half (actually, my best half)… i baked him his favorite Red Velvet Cupcakes – moist, rich flavour and dense red color. The cupcakes were fluffy and delicious with “to die for” cream cheese frosting.
Here’s the recipe for 24 mini cupcakes, you will need.
- 117.5 gms Self Raising Flour
- 7.5 gms Cocoa powder
- 125 gms Castor Sugar
- a pinch of Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Butter Milk
- 135 gms Butter
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Red Food Color (the food color qty varies as all colors and gels have different intensity)
- ¾ tsp Cider Vinegar
- ¾ tsp Soda Bi Carb
For Cream Cheese Frosting, you will need.
- 120 gms Cream Cheese
- 75 gms Butter
- 420 gms Icing Sugar (sifted)
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- Line the mini cupcake tin with liners and pre heat your oven at 170 degree Celsius
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, castor sugar and salt in a large bowl and mix thoroughly
- Add eggs and butter to the flour mixture and whisk well
- In a separate bowl, mix together the butter milk, food color and vanilla extract. Add this red liquid to the flour mix. Beat well for a minute or so on high speed. Scrape down the sides and mix again.
- In a small bowl, add cider vinegar to the soda bi carb and pour this fizzy mix to the red velvet batter. Beat well for a couple of seconds or until thoroughly mixed
- Scoop the batter in pre lined cupcake tin and allow them to bake at 170 degree Celsius for 22 minutes
- Take them out when done and allow them to cool completely
While the cupcakes are baking, make your frosting. This way you will not waste a minute on delaying the eating part!
- To make the cream cheese frosting, beat together the butter and cream cheese on medium speed for 1 or 2 mins.
- Add the icing sugar in parts and keep mixing on low speed.
- Add in the vanilla extract and scrape down the sides with a spatula
- Whisk the frosting another minute or two and keep in the fridge
Time to assemble the cupcakes.. Fill in your piping bag with the frosting. Use the star nozzle to create beautiful swirls. Red Velvet Cupcakes look ridiculously pretty with the delicate cream cheese swirls and they taste so so good.
Make these cupcakes for all your loved ones. Spread happiness and celebrate love all year long!